Tuesday 3 February 2015

Gammon Style Roast

Okay so Holland and Barrett can be an expensive shop to buy from BUT i urge you to pay it regular visits. The original price is often close to £3 and above but they discount their products often and they discount them by a lot usually. I bought this gammon Style Roast for £1.12 and it would serve me four roasts minimum. With this I also bought some vegan sausages wrapped in bacon for 87p, they were both Christmas stock so on their way out but they can be frozen for up to a month so they still have good use in them. This is just a quick post to show you how I used my gammon steak and still kept my meals relatively healthy.
Image: vbitesfood.com

Gammon Roast with 'Pigs in Blankets':


The most obvious use for this is to just cook it and have it as a roast - as I did. I cooked up some roast potatoes without any oil to keep them healthy, some Aldi tinned carrots and Tesco reduced cabbage and broccoli medley. I had one sausage from the sausage wrapped in bacon that I bought and froze the rest for later use. For gravy I used vegan bouillon vegetable powder made into a stock and thickened with cornstarch.

For the whole meal - <500 calories and 38g protein.

Price - <£1 per portion
This includes: 
  1 medium potato
  1/4 gammon joint
  1 sausage wrapped in bacon
  1/3 cabbage and broccoli medley
  1/4 tinned carrots
  1 tablespoon bouillon powder
  1 teaspoon cornstarch

Pulled Pork Sandwich:



Now this was simple. To make this use 1/8 of the entire gammon style roast and literally shred it. I ripped it apart with a fork to make a 'pulled pork' texture. Then simple add in your favourite BBQ sauce - I used Heinz - mix it all up and slap in it a sandwich. This was toasted Tesco wholemeal bread with the pulled pork and spinach. A nice touch would be some melted cheese on top - delicious.





For the sandwich - <300 calories and 19g protein.

Price - <40p
This includes:
  1/8 gammon style roast
  2 slices of Tesco wholemeal bread
  20g of Heinz BBQ sauce
  6 spinach leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment