Thursday 12 February 2015

Vegetable Stew


Some good hearty vegan food right here. I forgot how much I enjoyed having stew, to be honest with you I haven't eaten it much at all but after making it yesterday and it being so cheap and easy, I get the feeling it will become a regular. I like it really chunky, for some reason I feel like I'm eating more food and then I feel more full.

The best thing about stew is you can literally put whatever you want in it. Just empty all the vegetables you own into a pan and bam - delicious. It's also great for if you have guests coming round, it doesn't require too much attention so you have time to prepare everything else (like yourself).



Making the Stew:
(Measurements are estimates as this was made up as I went along)


Boil two medium potatoes in a pan of boiling water. Use enough water to cover the potatoes completely. I would advise keeping your potato chunks big so you get a chunkier stew.









This part is literally up to you - add whatever and as many vegetables as you please. I added cabbage, mushroom, sweetcorn and Tesco mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans and pepper). The potatoes will take around 10 minutes to boil, add the other vegetables in depending on how long they take to cook. Cabbage takes around 7 minutes to cook so was added 3 minutes after the potatoes.





(Sorry for the blurred picture) Empty out 1/4 of the water or so that the water is level with the vegetables and they are not completely submerged. Then add 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon and 2-3 tbsp gravy granules depending upon your required thickness. Stir the bouillon and gravy granules in well.







Leave the mixture to simmer for 10-15 minutes so that the liquid thickens and the vegetables absorb the flavoured water. Then serve and enjoy.


Serves 2






Tip for this meal:

Make in advance and leave the stew to cool completely and then reheat in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. The stew will be much thicker and the vegetables will be extremely flavoursome.

If you do not like the flavour of gravy an alternative would be to used bouillon stock and thicken with cornflour.










No comments:

Post a Comment